Tuesday, August 6, 2013

"Have You Seen Your Father's Eyes Today?"

Her long brown hair bounced off her back as she ran to the oceans edge.  She giggled with delight.  The small preschooler never looked back but instead fearlessly got closer to the water.  Her father casually walked to where the shore line was and stood with pride while watching her play.

She moved in further, now to her knees. You could hear her squeals and laughter, see her jumping with abandonment. The pappa inched his way out but never so close that he interrupted her enjoyment.

From the look on her face you could tell she never once thought about any danger that could be below the surface of the water or that any moment a wave could knock her over. But the daddy knew what harm was around her and he was there to protect her.

Two more steps, she was waist deep. She looked at the man who was still behind her. She LOOKED straight into his eyes as He spoke and motioned to her to come closer to him.  She obeyed.  Closer to her father, closer she went.  His love and concern drew her to him.

I saw all of this as I sat in my chair on the beach and three simple things hit me. One, how our Heavenly Father must take great delight when we get pleasure and enjoyment in the things He has created.  Secondly, He is always there watching over us with protection just like this earthly Father was with his child. The third thing I was reminded of is, how easy it is to take our eyes off Jesus, our Heavenly Father, and get caught wading further into an ocean of danger.  It is only by constantly being aware of Him and focusing on Him that our eyes stay locked on Him. It is easy for Him to keep calling us but we must be close enough to hear, and close enough to gaze directly into His eyes.

I left the beach that day asking myself, have I looked into His eyes today? Am I so close that He can pick me up if the worlds waves get too close?  Or is the world around me taking me further into its ocean?

Hebrews 12:1 and 2....."Let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus".....

No comments:

Post a Comment